In the mid-1800s, steam-powered boats were making waves as a new way to travel the nation’s larger rivers, such as the Mississippi. It did not take long after the establishment of local communities for enterprising people to try to operate steamers up and down the Wisconsin River. In the mid 1850s, a small steamship began running between Stevens Point and Mosinee, bringing people and supplies to the communities up in the great Wisconsin Pinery. The first such steamer was called “The Northerner,” and started operations in 1854. After getting a larger boiler in 1856, the steamship was said to be capable of carrying 30 passengers and several tons of freight. After leaving Stevens Point, the nine-hour trip to Mosinee included stops along the way, at places such as Charles Maan’s tavern-house, Wylie’s tavern, DuBay’s trading post, the Whitehouse landing, Warren’s Mill, Drake’s Landing and Bean’s Eddy. If not for the dangerous rapids of the Little Bull Falls at Mosinee, the steamship might have continued to travel further north to Wausau. For a few months in 1858, a second steamship route was established from Mosinee to Wausau. But after the novelty of riding a steamship wore off, the financial panic of 1858 brought the tri-weekly trips to an abrupt end. The steamboat from Stevens Point to Mosinee also proved to be a poor moneymaker. The Wisconsin River and its seasonal conditions were not great fits for steam-powered boats after all. Whenever water levels dipped too low, the steamships struggled to safely travel the river. On numerous occasions, male passengers were asked to go overboard into the shallow water to push the boat back into safe waters. In 1870 and 1882, other short-lived attempts were made to establish steamship lines between Stevens Point and Mosinee. But neither saw commercial success, especially as the arrival of railroad service in the 1870s provided more efficient means of moving passengers and supplies year-round.