The 1920s were an exciting time for aviation. In less than 20 years, planes had gone from flimsy contraptions capable only of brief hops of a few hundred feet to sleek, powerful machines capable of cross-country flights and beyond. The small but progressive town of Wausau wanted to be part of the excitement in the air. In August of 1927, a committee presented a report to the Wausau City Council, suggesting an airfield be built on 90 acres of farmland then owned by Herman Radtke on the south edge of the city. The committee noted the need for an airport in the community, saying that “the growth and rapid development of aviation in the United States in recent years, particularly during the past year, makes it evident that something must be done by every progressive and lively community to keep pace with the progress in that line.” Wausau would strive to prove it was one such progressive and lively community over the next year. With the help of local business leaders and aviation enthusiasts Ben and Judd Alexander, the airport quickly took shape. The former farm fields were turned into a marker of modernity, as a simple landing field was finished by September, and the first hangar was being built by November. The following spring, other final improvements were finished including adding electric illumination. Alexander Airport was officially dedicated with great fanfare in June 1928. It was just in time for the arrival of some of the leading American aviators as a stop on the Ford National Reliability Air Tour —notably the ultimate winner of the tour, Wausau’s own John Wood. The city would continue to expand the airport, including purchasing the airport from the Alexander brothers in 1936 and renaming it to the Wausau Municipal Airport in 1952. And the airport continues to be well used by private and corporate planes, though commercial passengers now pass through the Central Wisconsin Airport in Mosinee.