Rothschild Park has been an important community gathering place from the beginning. “Pine Park,” as it was first known, officially opened June 10, 1908, to a crowd of around 2,100 who took the trolley line to visit the park. The park featured landscaped paths down to the water, surrounded by trees and plants that were labeled, picnic tables to enjoy a meal away from home, the modern wonders of electric lighting, and even a baseball diamond to play some ball. The centerpiece of Rothschild Park was the handsome pavilion. The one built in 1908 was a rustic structure, built with rough timbers and bark sheeting. It featured a dance floor, kitchen and dining room, and even had running water and electric lighting. This building would burn down in 1911, but would be quickly rebuilt with the structure that remains today. The completion of the dam at Rothschild in 1910 would greatly expand Lake Wausau right up to the foot of the pavilion. An artificial island was created to protect the park and create an attractive, sheltered place for swimmers. A wooden roller coaster was built in 1911 and a group of deer became a petting zoo. In the winter, people would visit for ice skating on the frozen lake or to watch ski jumpers defy gravity on the ski jump built in 1926. In 1938, the Village of Rothschild purchased the pavilion and park from the Wausau Street Railroad company, and continued to open it for proms, parties, lots of roller-skating, and concerts by well-known acts (such as Buddy Holly in 1953). Starting in the late 1940s, it also served as an armory for the area, providing a home for the 426th Infantry of the National Guard to conduct training during the Korean War. By the 1990s, the pavilion was starting to show its age. The heating, electrical, and restrooms were in dire need of renovation and replacement, and in 1997 the decision was made to close the venue. Shortly after the pavilion was closed, citizens of Rothschild and the surrounding area began campaigning to save the structure and raise money for its renovation. Renovations were finished in 2009, which have ensured that this historic structure will continue to be beloved for generations to come.