In the first decade of the 20th century, it was clear that paper production would be the new industry to replace lumber in many Wisconsin communities. In 1911, a paper company was established here in Mosinee, where the waterpower was ideal for paper production. The new mill was designed by the Norwegian engineer, Olai Bache-Wiig, to make paper with the sulphate process. Also known as the Kraft method, it produced a better-quality pulp, and was used to create everything from sturdy butcher/wrapping paper to high-quality, acid-free stationery and printing papers. The method had been developed in Europe more than a century earlier but had only recently been successfully adapted for widespread commercial use. In fact, it was Bache-Wiig who had designed the first mill in North America to use the sulphate process. That happened in 1907 in East Angus, Quebec. The Wausau Sulphate Fibre Company (as it was then known) originally focused solely on the production of Kraft wrapping papers. This would change in the 1920s, as the demand for specialty papers grew and the mill was outfitted to handle custom production runs. But the company was still largely known for their Mosinee-brand Kraft paper, so much so that in 1928, the company changed its name to Mosinee Paper to capitalize on the branding and better reflect its location. With the success of the Mosinee Paper Company, the community grew quickly. The village’s population went from 482 people in 1910 (before the paper company) to 1,161 in 1920. Over the last century, Mosinee Paper has expanded into other kinds of specialty paper beyond the Kraft paper that gave the mill its start. Mosinee’s ability to produce quality paper for underserved niche markets throughout the last century, made the company an attractive investment for other companies looking to get into those markets. It was acquired by Wausau Paper in 1997, who would operate the mill until 2013, when it was sold to KPS Capital Partners. KPS operated the mill as part of its specialty papers division for a short time before selling it to Ahlstrom-Munksjo, the Finnish company that operates the mill today.