Much of Wausau’s southeast side exists on a sort of peninsula, created along the long curve of the Wisconsin River. By the 1860s, this area was recognized for its fine cropland and a number of farmers settled their families in the area. Even though it was apart from the city center, the area was chosen in the late 1800s by Marathon County government as an ideal place to establish several health institutions, a county-run nursing home and hospital, a “poor farm,” and an asylum for the chronically insane. Wausau’s continued expansion southward spilled into the peninsula, along a side road known as Sturgeon Eddy. For years, people referred to this part of the Wisconsin River by the water feature known as Sturgeon Eddy because there was an actual eddy, or circular whirlpool running against the current. Changes to the river over the years eliminated the challenging water feature, but the name held with Sturgeon Eddy Road. It would be the major access point to the area’s first residential neighborhood, established in 1901 with Johnson’s Addition. The construction of an electric streetcar line from Wausau to Schofield in 1906 helped further develop Wausau’s southeast neighborhood. With accessible public transportation by trolley and new land opened to development, the neighborhood expanded to include new homes beyond the initial Johnson’s Addition. Before long, the neighborhood was established enough that it became a destination in its own right. John Marshall Elementary School was built in 1923, Memorial Hospital (later called Wausau Hospital South) was constructed in 1924, and in 1926 Alexander Municipal Airport was established.